Anger & Emotion Regulation
Are you or a loved one struggling to manage anger or other intense emotions?
Do any of the following experiences apply to you or a loved one?
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by intense anger or other emotions?
- Do you have difficulties accessing and expressing your feelings and emotions?
- Are you stuck in anger and negative emotions, such as hurt and rage, and unable to resolve them or move forward?
- Is it hard to complete tasks at home and/or at work because of overwhelming negative emotions?
- Do you find yourself getting into frequent arguments with family, friends, acquaintances and/or work colleagues?
- Is listening to or empathizing with others a challenge?
- Do you blame others for your difficulties when you are actually experiencing feelings of guilt, anxiety, or inadequacy?
- When anger or any negative emotion becomes intense, do you have urges to physically act out, behave aggressively toward others or harm yourself?
- Do you frequently push down your anger or other negative emotions only to find yourself anxious and/or depressed afterward?
- Are alcohol or other substances used to cope and/or escape feelings of anger or other intense emotions?
- Are thoughts of death or suicide part of your experience of intense emotions?
- Do you experience physical symptoms (e.g., breathing changes, clenched jaw, tense muscles, bodily aches and pains) when you have intense emotions?
- Have you experienced trouble at school, work, in relationships, or with the law related to difficulties managing anger or other intense emotions?
Help Is Available
If you said yes to any of the above, you might consider meeting with one of the highly trained mental health professionals in the Anger and Emotional Regulation Treatment Service at CFIR. Our mental health professionals have received specialized training to provide you the help you need.
Help is available right now for you and your loved ones. We also offer video-based appointments to fit our clients’ needs.
How do we help you and your loved ones deal with anger and emotion regulation difficulties?
- Provide you with a confidential, compassionate, and caring therapeutic relationship to explore your thoughts, emotional reactions, behaviours and relationship patterns associated with intense negative emotions
- Offer you a comprehensive, individually-tailored assessment to evaluate your current difficulties with anger and emotion regulation
- Collaboratively set goals and develop a treatment plan to help you address your concerns and needs and to manage your emotional expressions
- Employ relevant, evidence-based treatments to help you achieve your treatment goals, including: Acceptance and Commitment, Cognitive-Behavioural, Dialectical Behavioural, Emotion-Focused, Experiential, Mindfulness, and Psychodynamic-Mentalization-Attachment-based and Systemic approaches
- Outline and implement treatment options of an appropriate duration, ranging from short, to medium and long-term
- Identify referrals to other professionals as needed
We help you to manage your anger and cope with overwhelming emotions by:
- Improving your emotional intelligence and awareness, and your capacity to experience and label your emotions
- Enhancing your adaptive coping skills to tolerate emotional distress
- Learning to understand the function and importance of your emotions in everyday life, including the significance of emotional expression in your relationships
- Building self and relationship capacities, so that you are better able to express your emotions to others in a constructive way
- Improving your ability to manage conflict, anger and hurts in relationships at home and work
Find A Therapist
We have many mental health therapists at both our locations who offer this service. Please select a location below to see a list: