Have you, your partner, or a loved one been touched by an adoption?
Do any of these adoption-related issues apply to you, your partner or your family members?
- Are you having difficulties navigating the adoption process or experiencing anxiety or depression associated with your efforts to adopt?
- Are you feeling concerned about the strength of the attachment bond between you, your partner, other children in the family and your adoptive child or children?
- Are you struggling to find support for your adoptive child or children to help them deal with past experiences or to adjust to a new family life, peer group and/or school environment?
- Are you an adopted child or a biological parent considering reunion?
De l’aide est disponible
Si vous avez répondu oui à l’un des éléments ci-dessus, vous pourriez envisager de rencontrer l’un des professionnels de la santé mentale hautement qualifiés du CPRI. Nos professionnels de la santé mentale ont reçu une formation spécialisée sur ces questions.
De l’aide est disponible dès maintenant pour vous et vos proches. Nous offrons également des rencontres par vidéoconférence sécurisée pour répondre aux besoins de nos clients.
How do we help you, a partner or family members through adoption-related difficulties?
- Provide you with a confidential, compassionate, and caring therapeutic relationship so that you feel comfortable exploring difficult thoughts and emotional reactions associated with your adoption-related issues
- Offer you a comprehensive, individually-tailored assessment that helps you, a partner or family members understand your unique adoption-related needs and challenges
- Work with different adoption types and related needs, including International (i.e., children from other countries), Relative (i.e., adoption by kin of the child, including step-parents), Public (i.e., through Children’s Aid Society for children living in care), and Private (i.e., directly from birth families in Ontario) adoptions
- Collaboratively set treatment goals that are relevant to your adoption-related concerns and needs
- Employ relevant scientific, adoption-competent practices to help you achieve your goals
- Outline various short, medium or long-term treatment options to ensure resolution of your difficulties
- Facilitate referrals to other professionals as needed
We help you and your loved ones to address adoption-related issues by supporting you to:
- Prepare for the adoption application process and adoption (e.g., explore reasons for adoption and evaluate readiness to raise an adoptive child or children)
- Navigate the adoption application process (e.g., help with decision-making; deal with uncertainty and loss; cope with the duration of the process and other stressors; link to community resources)
- Address psychosocial issues associated with placement and matching (e.g., supporting birth or adoptive parents through the process of finding a successful placement or match; dealing with rejection; problem solving and time-management)
- Transition post-adoption (e.g., facilitating integration of adoptive child; managing an open adoption; transracial adoption and cultural considerations; identifying and meeting the developmental needs of your child or children)
- Prepare for a reunion (e.g., support in navigating family reunion for adoptive child or birth parent)
Find A Therapist
We have many mental health therapists at each of our locations who offer this service. Please select a location below to see a list: