Are you or a loved one struggling with obsessions and/or compulsions?
Do you, your partner, or a family member struggle with any of the following?
- Recurrent and persistent thoughts, urges, or impulses that are experienced as intrusive and unwanted
- Attempts to suppress intrusive and unwanted thoughts, urges, or images
- Repetitive behaviours or mental acts, like hand washing, ordering, checking, or counting, that you feel driven or compelled to perform in response to thoughts or mental images
Help Is Available
If you said yes to any of the above, you or your loved one might consider meeting with one of the highly trained mental health professionals in the Obsessive-Compulsive Treatment Service at CFIR. Our mental health professionals can support you or your loved one to address concerns, issues or struggles related to obsessions and/or compulsions.
Help is available right now for you and your loved ones. We also offer video-based appointments to fit our clients’ needs.
How do we help you or your loved ones resolve difficulties with obsessions and/or compulsions?
- Provide you with a confidential, compassionate, and caring therapeutic relationship so that you can explore distressing thoughts, feelings, emotional reactions, behaviours, and relationship patterns associated with your obsessions and/or compulsions
- Offer you a comprehensive, individually-tailored assessment to understand your current difficulties with obsessions and/or compulsions
- Clarify a diagnosis of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, and other commonly co-occurring concerns including depression
- Assist you in understanding your current difficulties with obsessions and/or compulsions within the context of your life
- Help you to understand and change the emotional, behavioural, cognitive, and relationship factors that might contribute to and maintain your difficulties
- Collaboratively set your treatment goals with you to ensure treatment is relevant to your concerns and needs
- Employ relevant evidence-based treatments to help you achieve your treatment goals, including: Acceptance and Commitment, Cognitive-Behavioural, Exposure and Response Prevention, Mindfulness, Emotion-Focused, Experiential, Psychodynamic-Mentalization-Attachment-based, and Systemic approaches
- Offer short, medium, or long-term treatment options
- Identify referrals to other professionals as needed
We help you and your loved ones with obsessions and/or compulsions by supporting you to:
- Understand and change current symptoms and manifestations of obsessions and compulsions
- Develop healthy coping strategies to deal with obsessions and compulsions
- Challenge beliefs about situations, other people, and yourself to build a greater sense of confidence and competency
- Understand and change your response to anxious thoughts and compulsive behaviours
- Understand and change underlying self and relationship issues at the root of your obsessions and/or compulsions
- Access and explore emotions and needs associated with obsessions and compulsions
- Develop a more resilient and secure self (i.e., greater self capacities, self-soothing skills, self-confidence and self-esteem, and more positive emotional expressions in self and relationships), and strengthen your relationships (e.g., capacity to have healthy and supportive relationships)
Find A Therapist
We have many mental health therapists at both our locations who offer this service. Please select a location below to see a list: