Are you or a loved one struggling with the impact of past and/or current trauma?
(e.g., emotional, physical, sexual abuse; emotional and physical neglect; deeply humiliating, painful and/or frightening or overwhelming life moments; unexpected losses; life threatening illnesses; chronic stressors, including oppression, bullying, marginalization; accidents, natural disasters or war experiences; a violent attack against you, such as sexual or physical assault)
Do any of the following trauma-related difficulties apply to you or a loved one?
- Have you had or witnessed unwanted, overwhelming or disturbing sexual experiences, emotional or physical abuse, accidents or war experiences?
- Do you have intrusive and painful thoughts or feelings about past events?
- Do you have nightmares related to specific memories or events?
- Do you have sleep difficulties?
- Do you often feel fearful and unsafe?
- Are you jumpy or easily startled?
- Do you have difficulties with concentration?
- Have you lost a sense of trust in the world, or do you have difficulty finding meaning or a sense of control and predictability?
- Do you feel detached or numb in response to past or current experiences?
- Do you become flooded by memories and emotions related to past trauma or abuse?
- Are there intense physical reactions when you are reminded of certain incidents (e.g., pounding heart, rapid breathing, nausea, muscle tension, sweating)?
- Do you ever feel like you are re-living a painful experience in the present moment?
- Do you avoid people, places or situations that remind you of a past event or trigger painful emotions?
- Do you have trouble separating the past from the present?
- Are you weighed down by feelings of guilt or shame related to traumatic events that have happened to you in the past?
- Do you currently feel mistrust towards others?
- Do you find it difficult to be emotionally or physically close to people?
- Do you use alcohol or other substances to cope with painful emotions?
- Do you feel disconnected from your body?
- Do you have an extreme loss of sexual desire, or overly heightened sexual arousal and desire?
- Do you lose track of time, feel out of touch with what is around you or find yourself disconnected and ungrounded?
- Do you have aches and pains?
Help Is Available
If you said yes to any of the above, you or your loved one might consider meeting with one of the highly trained mental health professionals in the Trauma Psychology & PTSD Treatment Service at CFIR. Our mental health professionals can support you to address your or your loved ones’ concerns, difficulties or struggles related to traumatic experiences.
Help is available right now for you and your loved ones. We also offer video-based appointments to fit our clients’ needs.
How do we help you or your loved one with trauma-related difficulties?
- Provide you with a confidential, compassionate and caring therapeutic relationship to help you address the distressing thoughts, images, memories, emotional reactions, behaviours, bodily and physical concerns and relationship difficulties as a result of trauma
- Offer you a comprehensive, individually-tailored assessment of your symptoms, level of distress and functioning
- Clarify diagnosis (if applicable) of Acute Stress Disorder, Adjustment Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Complex Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and Dissociative Disorders, and identify co-occurring issues (e.g., depression, panic, anxiety, psychosis, sleep difficulties, substance overuse)
- Collaboratively establish treatment goals and a customized treatment plan that addresses your concerns and needs
- Employ a phase-specific, scientific-based, compassion-focused treatment model that integrates the following therapeutic modalities: Cognitive-Behavioural, EMDR, Dialectical Behavioural, Ego-State, Emotion-Focused and Experiential, Mindfulness, Psychodynamic-Mentalization-Attachment-based, Trauma-Focused and Systemic approaches
- Offer short, medium and long-term treatment options
- Identify appropriate referrals and resources, and coordinate care
We will support you or your loved one to heal from traumatic experiences by helping you to:
- Increase your sense of safety and stabilize your emotional distress
- Identify triggers of traumatic symptoms and cope with ensuing physical and emotional responses
- Safely and gradually explore and address thoughts, memories, images, feelings, sensations, emotional reactions and behaviours associated with the trauma
- Develop coping and emotional regulation skills, and improve self-capacities (i.e., self-soothing, nurturing, self-care) to tolerate tension, sensations and emotional reactions associated with talking about distressing traumatic memories
- Explore and expand the self- and other-related meanings associated with the traumatic events and experiences, and recognize your self-resiliency
- Understand and address self and relationship issues that contribute to traumatic reactions and block trauma recovery
- Access and explore adaptive emotions and needs associated with traumatic experiences
- Develop a more positive, resilient and integrated sense of self
- Facilitate self-growth, renewal, re-connection and engagement with others
Find A Therapist
We have many mental health therapists at both our locations who offer this service. Please select a location below to see a list: